3 New Years Resolutions To Make For Your Apartment in 2017
The new year is here, and it is time for some new year’s resolutions for your apartment! Considering the fact that 15% of people invested in moving because they wanted a new or better home or apartment, these resolutions will make sure your apartment living is everything you hoped and dreamed it would be when you signed your lease.
Clear out the clutter
The first step to making your home look brand new is to streamline it from clutter. It is so easy for rental spaces to fill up with odds and ends, books, clothes you’ve been meaning to donate, and electronics. The easiest way to de-clutter is to go room by room, so here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Clean out your closet and donate items you haven’t worn in more than a year.
2. Stash all DVDs, books, and remotes in baskets underneath side tables or your television console.
3. Keep a basket by your front door to catch all those kicked-off shoes.
4. Remove appliances from your kitchen counters that you do not use daily.
5. Get rid of everything that is damaged beyond repair or broken.
Make it safe
Apartment safety is often overlooked, as some residents believe it is their landlord’s job to ensure everything is set up properly. However, there is no such thing as being too safe; at the start of the year there are a few things you should check.
1. Radon. Radon is an odorless and tasteless radioactive gas that can seep in through your apartment complex via its basement. It can cause problems breathing, respiratory infections, and even lung cancer if it goes untreated.
2. Install a carbon monoxide detector in your apartment, and make sure to change the batteries every six months.
3. Clean out the bottom of your oven. Baked-on debris can cause a buildup of harmful gasses over time.
Reduce your bills
Apartment living doesn’t have to be too expensive! Here are a few simple tips to help lower your bill.
1. Your mom was right — always turn off the lights when you leave a room.
2. Turn down your air conditioner whenever you are sleeping or not in the house.
3. Install energy efficient light bulbs.
4. Make sure your electronics go on sleep mode whenever they are not in use.
5. Only run the dishwasher and the washing machine once they are completely full.
With these resolutions in mind, your apartment living in 2017 will be off to a great start.