It is important to always read your apartment lease and make sure you understand it before you sign on the dotted line. When you find a great apartment, you may be tempted to just go ahead and sign. Be sure to read your lease carefully to avoid problems later.
As you read through your apartment lease, make sure it answers the following questions:
- Are pets allowed, and if it is a pet friendly apartment, is there a deposit or pet rent required?
- Are there restrictions on the number of roommates?
- What is the apartment maintenance process?
- Are you allowed to make any customizations, like hanging shelves or painting walls?
- Which utilities are you responsible for paying?
- What are the consequences of breaking your lease before the term is up?
If any of these questions are unanswered, ask your new landlord to put the answers in writing before you sign the lease.
For more tips and tricks for apartment living, continue to follow our blog. Looking to rent a new Reno apartment? Check out Apartment Genie for a quick and easy way to find the Reno apartment for you!